Only the US can help save the The Reggae Boyz football team (Jamaica) who let a good opportunity slip through their net in the 85th minute against Guatemala on Friday. A tie would keep them in 3rd position with 8 points, behind Guatemala 8 and USA 10. Only the top 2 teams from this group advance to the CONCACAF final stage for World Cup 2014 in Brazil. All was going well for the Boyz until goalie Miller lethargically punched a ball outside and gave up a corner for a ball he could have held had he been more alert. Guatemala made no mistake with their corner which was headed home, giving them a 2-1 win and putting them on 10 points, keeping Jamaica on 7 and in a serious pinch.
The save by goalkeeper Miller was reminiscent of the one attempted against USA that allowed the USA team to defeat Jamaica 1-0 after losing 1-2 to Jamaica a few days before.
What is the situation tonight?
- Jamaica plays Antigua and Barbuda at The Office (Jamaica National Stadium); USA plays Guatemala at home
- For Jamaica to qualify, they need a non-tie in the USA-GUA match and a win by more than 1 goal in their match against Antigua.
- A tie in USA-GUA match results in both teams advancing and JAM eliminated.
- A USA win by 1 goal and a JAM win by 3+ goals would put them in the next round, eliminating GUA. (minimum +4 goal difference in favor of Jamaica)
- A GUA win by 2+ goals and a JAM win by 3+ goals would put JAM into the next round, eliminating USA. This is a highly unlikely scenario with the USA playing at home and needing just a draw. (minimum +5 goal difference in favor of Jamaica)
I only hope my update will be that the Jamaicans take care of business and, somehow, the USA defeats GUA… though neither team needs to win. A draw puts both of them through. Jamaica has not qualified for the World Cup Finals since their first outing in France 1998.
Please say your piece.