This month, July 27, 2012, marks the opening of the 2012 London Olympics. This is expected to be the most highly-anticipated Olympic games by the English-speaking Caribbean in history. The main reason is that it’s held in Britain where we have many Caribbean immigrants. Other reasons are the high medal expectation of Jamaicans, Trinbagonians, Bahamians, Grenadians, and others. They expect close to a repeat of the performance in 2008. It will be difficult to repeat such performances, however, as they will be targeted by other athletes.
1. Olympics runs from the opening ceremony on July 27, 2012 through closing on August 12, 2012.
2. This is the third time London hosts the Olympics, the other two times being in 1908, and 1948.
3. Two hundred and five (205) countries and unattached athletes will participate in this year’s Olympics.
4. Athletics (Track & Field events) has the largest number of participants, over 2,000 of 10,500.
5. Ten thousand, five hundred (10,500) athletes are expected to compete for 302 gold medals this year.
5. Major names at this years olympic games include Usain Bolt (JAM), Yohan Blake (JAM), Michael Phelps (USA), Ryan Lochte (USA), Lebron James (USA), Kobe Bryant (USA), among others.
Which of the following is most likely to occur?
Which of the following is most likely to happen during London 2012 Olympics?
- Yohan beats Bolt again in 100M and 200M (6%, 2 Votes)
- Usain Bolt breaks his own 100M or 200M record (12%, 4 Votes)
- US basketball team goes unbeaten to gold (41%, 14 Votes)
- Lochte beats Michael Phelps in head-to-head (9%, 3 Votes)
- Caribbean athletes sweep 100M & 200M medals (32%, 11 Votes)
Total Voters: 34